When Jesus taught his Sermon on the
Mount, he began by explaining eight blessings of favoró known as the
Beatitudesóthat are bestowed on those who trust him. Each one tells of an immediate and eternal benefit for believing. One of those blessings of favor is the promise to inherit the earth. †
To inherit means to come into possession of something that had been owned by someone before he or she died. So what exactly do Godís children inherit? God has promised and planned a new heaven and a new earth, which will be inherited and inhabited by Godís children, not because weíve earned it, but because Jesus died for us. None of Godís gifts are earned or deserved (Ephesians 2:8-9). When we trust in Jesusí death on the cross to pay the debt we owe for sinning against God, we become part of Godís family and heirs to his eternal kingdom. As we follow Jesus in our thoughts and actions, we can then be trusted to be good caretakers of Godís earth and will treat othersóeven our enemiesówith love and respect (Matthew 5:44). †
Eternal salvation is undoubtedly the greatest benefit of trusting in Jesus as our Lord and Savior. In God's eternal kingdom there will be no more death or sorrow, nor crying or pain. All of our tears will be wiped away (Revelation 21:4). Hallelujah! But are there benefits for believing here and now? I think there are. Whether you are new to the faith or have been following the Lord for decades, it is important to remember these benefits of believing to encourage and strengthen you in your walk with the Lord!
Jesus said that the Father causes the sun to shine on the evil and the good and
sends rain on the just and the unjust (Matthew 5:45). All people are made in Godís
image and can enjoy the beauty and bounty of his creation. All people experience
God's mercy; he withholds his just punishment for sinning in order to give everyone time to repent and come to him. All people can enjoy these general blessings from God. However, only those
people who trust in Jesus as their Savior, are bestowed with God's
grace, given the right to become his children, and are considered joint heirs in his eternal kingdom (John 1:12; Romans 8:17). Only Godís children are entitled to
inherit his kingdom favors!
Consider the following ten benefits of believing in Jesus here and now:
1) Mental Health: You are forgiven of your sins. You can live life without guilt or shame, which is essential for a sound mind (Romans 6:6-7, 8:12; 2 Corinthians 5:19; Psalm 119:39).
2) Wise Counsel: You have Godís Word to guide you, encourage you, direct you, comfort you, strengthen you, and give you understanding and wisdom (Psalm 119). The Bible is unique to our faith.
3) Security: God promises never to abandon or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5).
4) Joy: You can have the joy of Godís presence (Acts 2:28).
5) Companionship: You will never walk alone. Jesus walks with you (Psalm 23:4). †
6) Guidance: You will be shown the right and true paths of life (Psalm 25:4; John 14:6).
7) Provision: All your needs will be supplied (Philippians 4:19). God doesnít withhold good things from those who love him (Psalm 84:11). Does this not imply that he may withhold bad things that we think are good for us?
8) Satisfaction: God gives you the desires of your heart (Psalm 37:4). He replaces your sinful desires with his desires!
9) Mediator: Jesus, The High Priest, has suffered for you and understands your suffering (Hebrew 4:15). In all things, God works for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28).
10) Loved: God pursues you with goodness and mercy (Psalm 23: 6). Are you his child? Make sure today. Learn more.
Can you add to this list? What benefits of believing have you experienced? Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. †
Copyright 2021 SA Keith - SundaySchoolNetwork.com
Teach the Beatitudes to kids!
Photo credit Zac Durant on Unsplash.com
You can make a difference!
Your purchases and donations to the site help to distribute our children's ministry resources to churches across the world.
Subscribe to our Newsletter - Learn More